Top 5 Reasons To Stop Drinking Soda
Take a glass of water, add 8 to 12 teaspoons of sugar and mix in a bunch of chemicals and you’ll have soda. Americans are drinking twice as much soda as we were 25 years ago. Back in the 1950’s a 6 1/2 ounce soda bottle was the norm. Now we have the 20 ounce bottle and if you really have a soda craving there’s the 50 ounce “Double Gulp”.
Here are 5 reasons why you should eliminate soda all together:
1. Unbalanced nutrition. The majority of soft drinks contain about 120 to 160 calories of sugar but lack necessary nutrients. Also, high amounts of soda consumption have been linked to poor dental health, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
2. Puts the pounds on overtime. Drinking calorie-loaded beverages like soda is one sure recipe for gaining weight. Studies show that calories from sugar are more easily turned into fat in your body than calories from fat in food.
3. Uneven blood sugar. Sugar calories lack fiber which means it enters the bloodstream quickly and raises the blood sugar levels giving a temporary boost of energy or “sugar high”. When the blood sugar level is elevated, insulin enters the bloodstream to pull the blood sugar back down and energy levels go down as well. This creates a vicious cycle of repeatedly grabbing soft drink after soft drink throughout the day.
4. Delayed Digestion. When a sugary beverage enters the stomach and it is already processing food, digestion slows down until those new calories can be handled. If you are a just drinking soda every once in awhile it probably wouldn’t make much difference but having soda several times a day can stress the stomach and prolong digestion.
5. Acid rebound. Sodas can increase acid secretion in the stomach. This usually happens after the beverage leaves the stomach producing a rebound effect.
So with all of these undesirable side effects of soda you may be thinking , why not just drink diet soda? Well, diet sodas may sound more appealing but they also contain artificial sweeteners and a host of other chemicals that can be harmful to the body over time.
So what ‘s the solution? Simple. Drink Water! It’s the perfect beverage. It has no calories, requires no digestion, does not irritate the stomach and is exactly what the body needs to function and carry on the life processes.
Are you a soda drinker? If so, how hard do you think it would be to eliminate it once and for all? Leave your comment below.
Tasha Nelson is a busy mom, wife and registered nurse on a personal journey to get fit and live healthier while encouraging other women to do the same. She is also a total wellness advocate and enthusiast who firmly believes in the importance of taking care of yourself. A healthy mind, body, and spirit makes for a happy person. Isn’t that what we all want?